In Pattaya, you are entitled to refund of VAT on certain products in declared outlets. Learn here about the products, outlets and refund process.
VAT Refund in Pattaya
Foreign tourists in Thailand are entitled to refund
of the 7% V.A.T. (Value Added Tax) on products purchased at registered
retail outlets. You could get the refund at the airport at your
Claim of VAT Refunds
Anyone who is a non-Thai visitor can claim for VAT refunds if he/she
- has been in Thailand less than 180 days in a calendar year;
- is not a crew member of an airline;
- leaves Thailand by air carrier from an international airport.
VAT Refund Process
- The provision only applies to goods taken out of Thailand within
60 days from the date of purchase.
- Product has to be purchased from stores displaying the "VAT
Refund For Touritsts" sign.
- Products bought at each participating store shall not be less
than 2,000 baht, including VAT on any day. The total amount claimed
for refund must be more than 5,000 baht.
- On the day you shop, ask the sales assistant at the store to fill
the VAT refund form. Remember to attach the original tax invoices to
- Prior to departure, show your goods and submit the form and
original tax invoices to the Customs officers for inspection before
- You are required to give a fee for refund requests.
Ways of Refund
You could be refunded by cash, draft or credit to credit card account.
Goods not Eligible for Refund
VAT Refund is not allowed for gem stones, firearms, explosives and
You should have sufficient time at the airport for the refund process.